Sakura Tanaka is a certified tea master and culinary artist from Kyoto, Japan. She has spent over a decade studying the art of tea ceremony and the culinary uses of matcha. Sakura's passion for matcha began in her grandmother's kitchen, where she learned to appreciate the delicate balance of flavors and the meditative process of preparing matcha. She has since dedicated her life to sharing her love for matcha with the world.
If you're looking to add a touch of green tea goodness to your cookie jar, matcha cookies are the perfect treat for you! Matcha, a finely ground green tea powder, not only adds a vibrant green color to your cookies but also infuses them with a unique earthy and slightly bitter flavor. In this guide, I'll share with you a simple and delicious recipe for homemade matcha cookies that you can enjoy anytime.
To make matcha cookies, you'll need the following ingredients:
- 1 and 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons matcha powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Now, let's get started with the preparation:
1. Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, matcha powder, baking powder, and salt. Set this dry mixture aside.
3. In a separate large bowl, cream together the softened butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy. You can use a hand mixer or stand mixer for this step.
4. Add the egg and vanilla extract to the butter-sugar mixture and continue to mix until well combined.
5. Gradually add the dry mixture to the wet mixture, mixing on low speed until a soft dough forms. Be careful not to overmix, as this can result in tough cookies.
6. Once the dough is ready, use a cookie scoop or tablespoon to portion out the dough onto the prepared baking sheet. Leave about 2 inches of space between each cookie to allow for spreading.
7. Gently flatten each cookie with the back of a spoon or the palm of your hand to create a round shape.
8. Bake the cookies in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes, or until the edges are lightly golden. The centers may still appear slightly soft, but they will firm up as the cookies cool.
9. Remove the baking sheet from the oven and let the cookies cool on the sheet for a few minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
And there you have it! Your homemade matcha cookies are ready to be enjoyed. These cookies are perfect for tea time, as a sweet treat, or even as a unique gift for friends and family. The matcha powder not only adds a delightful flavor but also provides a boost of antioxidants and a gentle energy lift.
Feel free to experiment with the recipe by adding your favorite mix-ins, such as white chocolate chips, chopped nuts, or dried fruit. You can also make them gluten-free by substituting the all-purpose flour with a gluten-free flour blend.
I hope this recipe brings a touch of matcha magic to your baking adventures. For more matcha-inspired recipes and tips, be sure to explore our site, Matcha Lattes. Happy baking!